Vesper & Domino

Vesper & Domino
Vesper & Domino

Saturday, January 1, 2011

New Year's at 37,000 feet.

 Well, if you ever sat back and tried to think of an interesting place to spend New Year's, how's this for an idea; high above the earth.  Although a series of unusual circumstances conspired to disrupt my travel plans this holiday season; it did result is a story I will be able to tell for years to come.  As you may have guessed, I rang in 2011 from a very unusual place; 37,000 feet above Wilmington, North Carolina.  True I would have rather have been with my friends or family, but if plans are to be foiled there are less interesting ways for this to happen.

Indeed the holiday blizzard of 2010 sent shock-waves through many a travel plan.  My personal expierence is this; original scheduled flight for December 27 - canceled; first available flight set for December 30 at 1:45pm - canceled; third flight scheduled for December 31 at 8:55pm - Delayed until 10:25pm thus making an arrival at Logan for 1:35am.  But it gets better.  With a 1:35 arrival time I missed the last bus out of Logan and I sit here blogging, watching the clock tick, waiting for the 5:15 bus out of Logan.  Logan is way to far and it is way too late to consider calling anyone (not that there is a sober sole at this particular time on this particular day).

Believe it or not I am not the slightest bit miffed about any of this.  I had a great vacation in Florida.  I got to see my parents and my brother.  I got to touch base with some fantastic friends that I had not seen in quite awhile.  As for the travel blues; I have done a pretty good job in recent years not getting angry over that which is out of my control.  Sometimes you just have to roll with the punches and smile.

5 comments:

  1. That's really funny. I'm glad you made it back safely with all the weather issues, and managed to enjoy it as well. Did the whole plane do a countdown? How were the attendants and pilots during the last minutes? Business as usual or did they make it fun?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The airline did nothing, the passengers made it fun. That being said, the pilots did announce where we were at the moment we crossed over to 2011.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a good picture though, right after the ball dropped and on the back of a cheapskate airline seat. How dare they charge for basic tv broadcast like that? Next it's gonna be "Swipe card here for your seat to fit right." Or... "Swipe card here for oxygen mask to be available in an emergency".

    ReplyDelete
  4. The airlines should modify their current advertising... instead of bags fly free, bags fly, passengers, not so much! And, just for the record, I was sober enough to dial you up. Beyond that, all bets are off ; )

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like you're way of thinking. Just roll with it. :) Glad you had a good trip.

    ReplyDelete