Vesper & Domino

Vesper & Domino
Vesper & Domino

Sunday, September 5, 2010

Day 5 - Bryce Canyon & Natural Bridges

Well, I will not drone on about how beautiful the parks are, this goes without saying.  I will say that the formations of all these rocks are simply amazing.  Further, you can go from red rock in Hoodoo formation to wavy white sandstone in just a few miles.  There was a stretch of rocks just east of Capitol Reef  that had formations I had never seen before, even in picture-books; formations that looked like aliens had left behind some ruins (see FB pictures).  We saw wild turkeys today along with antelope and deer.  We finished the day in Natural Bridges NP.  This small park featured 3 natural bridges all in close proximity.  I did take a small hike down to get a better shot of the one above.

We had tio drive through the mountains today.  We passed through a 2.5 mile stretch of road known as "Hell's Backbone".  Try to imagine a road, on top of a mountain with a shear drop off on either side for  2.5 miles at 9600 feet.  Well, this sucked!  I am not much afraid of heights but I have to admit this one had me a little tense.  Much of the car ride today did consist of winding, high altitude mountain driving with up to 10 degree grades.  Fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment