Vesper & Domino

Vesper & Domino
Vesper & Domino

Sunday, September 26, 2010

New adventures on 2 wheels.

The weekend after I returned from the trip west I took a motorcycle training course which lasted two and a half days.  This was a beginner course and taught me all the basics of riding.  I did say basics.  The one thing I walked away with from the course is that you have to be hyper aware at all times.  In fact it left me wondering how anyone could enjoy the ride if they had to concentrate on all these riding factors perpetually.

Not being swayed I calculate that although you do have to be much more aware than when in a car, many of these factors must become second nature over time.  Practice along with a positive, safe attitude will go a long way to making the ride an enjoyable event.

I have been looking for a bike since I got my motorcycle license (automatic endorsement from the DMV upon completing the state approved course).  As big as I am it was not easy finding a bike I was comfortable on that allowed for comfortable use of the foot controls.  In the end I did find one and the price is amazing.  The picture above is the bike I plan to get next week.  It is a 2009 Yamaha V-Star 1300 in pearl white.  here is still a lot of practice to be done but I think I will have fun doing it.

10 comments:

  1. Hey, nice bike! First thing you should do is drill a bunch of holes in the muffler. I sent a pic of a cool skull helmet to your e-mail. I am a bit worried about your safety but hey, we only go around once so if it's something that makes you happy, by all means enjoy yourself. Just don't join any gangs that require you to kill anyone as an initiation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One in fifth gear, the bike has a switch for stealth mode rendering it virtually silent. I am having muffler extensions put on which cut down on the already quiet bikes noise by 60%. I could drive this bike through a nursery and no one would ever hear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't riding a silent bike similar to flagging traffic while wearing head phones and texting? I'm with the Captain; bore the shit out of the exhaust pipe and let er rip. At least they'll hear you coming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only effective communication with other drivers is through hand signals. Anyway, there is no exhaust on an electric bike.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have some hand signals I use quite effectively too, although they are never really indicative of say... what direction I'm going. Is that what you're referring to?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Correct.

    Well, I picked up the bike this evening. I brought Don with me for back-up but in the end I drove the bike home about 20 miles in a torrential rain storm. They handed me the keys and off into the storm I drove. Don followed carefully, running interference to keep other traffic off of me; he did well. When I got home I had an inch of water in my boots and was soaked to the bone. The weather is suposed to be beautiful this weekend. The forcast had been for rain the last two days but the only rain we actually got was the 2 hour window where I had to pick up the bike.

    YOU CALL THIS A STORM?!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well there you go. Now you're officially "used to it"... you can now drive everywhere in wheelie mode, one hand on the bars, and checking your blackberry. Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, no. There is no "comfort zone", I am far from that. I am going to need a thousand hours of drive time, two to three seasons at least, before I get anywhere near comfortable. Comfortable is so far out of sight it is almost unimaginable. Hyper awareness and safety precautions are the concept every time I get on the bike.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on the bike, bro! Very cool. I am next! Just kidding (a little). Gotta buy a car first. I am gonna buy one this week. Maybe a Subaru, then my transformation will be complete! Oregonian!

    ReplyDelete